Sunday, July 8, 2012

How United is Uniting.

For months I've been listening to Jeff Smisek tell me about creating the "right culture of the combined companies," and yet, I've been listening to pilots and flight attendants rattle on about being "legacy Continental Crew" or "long time United crew".

The truth is, when you bring two cultures together, they clash.  No matter what a CEO says in a silly video, it's the people who have to become family.  Yesterday I saw The Flying Pento talking about the sisterhood of the traveling scarfs.  I got curious.

After months of bickering about which airline is better, some of the walls are coming down.  Flight attendants are sharing scarfs and ties across subsidiary lines.  The planes have been repainted, the signs have been changed, and now the people of United are becoming one family.

When United first merged, they came out with a series of ads, one of which I feel in love with.  "What's emerging is more exciting than who is merging."  Well, what's emerging is taking time, but I believe that United, if they listen to their customers, will become the unbeatable airline.

Learn more about the traveling scarfs and ties at their facebook page.

But, hey, I'm just some guy who likes to look at airplanes, so what do I know?

No comments: