Saturday, October 12, 2013

United's New Look

Just after the merger of sCO and sUA's Passenger Reservation System, Jeff Smisek said, "Functionality first, design second."  He was referring to Continental's outdated website.  I believe that the change is just around the corner.  A few weeks ago while I was checking in in Portland, I saw something exciting.  United was testing out a new look for their check in Kiosks.  Have a look:
The start screen has a much more direct approach, asking customers to get started from the first page.

This is the flight view, show flights, equipment, seats, and times. 

The final screen, showing boarding time and gate information.  The system also alerts you if you are precheck.
 I was super excited, and then I realized that this design matched one of the designs in a #flyerfriendly ad:

This #flyerfriendly ad shows a new website, that seems to work beautiful on the iPad.  

So a few days later I asked United if they were going to update their iOS app for iOS7, and they said, "Stay Tuned."  As a guess, I believe they are about to release all new apps, launch the new website, and roll out the new kiosks very quickly.  

All I can hope at this point is that they let me have a sneak peak at the new site!

But, hey, I'm just some guy who likes to look at airplanes, so what do I know?

2 comments:

FlyGuyMike said...

I attended a meeting one day several months ago in a room where the web team must've been doing their design work and concepts because what I saw was amazing. In my own opinion if course I think the new website is going to be amazing just from the look I got at some of the screenshots and concept boards. I do think, again my opinion, though there was a realization that a beautiful functional website is great but it's not the only face of your company. The app has taken off in its current form that it too needs to be just a functional and sleek as what you can view on a computer. I was able to sneak preview the new ad campaign, kiosks, and recently announced seat redesign and proud to say I'm glad to see the direction UA is headed.

Mike_J_Morgan said...

FlyGuyMike, Thank you for this insight! I love what you have to say, and I'm very excited about what United has to offer!